Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, June 4, 2023

Jerry Garcia Band - 1983-06-04 - Poughkeepsie, NY (late) (SBD)

Jerry Garcia Band
1983-06-04
Late Show
The Chance
Poughkeepsie, NY
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Rhapsody In Red 
02. The Harder They Come 
03. Sugaree 
04. Cats Under The Stars 
05. Mission In The Rain 
06. Gomorrah 
07. Run For The Roses 
08. Deal

Encore: 
01. Midnight Moonlight*

*audience recording)



Besides the 50 times I saw the Dead live, I attended 4 Jerry Garcia Band concerts - in March 1978 at the Capitol Theater, in March 1980, also at the Capitol (a show that has been officially released), in August 1984 at Caldwell College and finally in November 1991 at Madison Square Garden (another one that has been officially released). Garcia solo shows were like Dead concerts in some ways as some songs overlapped, the set lists were unpredictable and the jamming intense, but unlike them in others. Garcia on his own played an amazing variety of covers not found in the Dead's set lists, broke out some of his rarer solo tunes, and took far more solos than he would when jamming with the Dead. To sum it up, seeing Garcia solo was not seeing the Dead, and vice versa. If you are interested in more on that subject, I have a whole essay dedicated to it in my book, TEN RULES OF THE ROAD I LEARNED AT MY FIRST CONCERT: AN ORDINARY GUY'S LIFETIME OF LIVE ROCK & ROLL.

This soundboard recording captures jJerry in the 1980s, playig The Cahnce in Pougkepie on June 4, 1983, 4 decades ago this very day.






1 comments:

Gman said...

I'm just a little jealous that you got to see Jerry so many times. I only saw him once, 8/11/1985. I look for recordings of that show, but it doesn't seem like there were any recorders in attendance. :)

Post a Comment