Santana
1990-06-03
Manchester Apollo
Manchester, UK
BBC Radio 1 FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. DJ Richard Skinner Intro
02. Spirits Dancing In The Flesh
03. Somewhere In Heaven
04. Batuka
05. No One To Depend On
06. Gypsy Woman
07. Blues for Salvador
08. Black Magic Woman > Gypsy Queen
09. Oye Como Va
10. Choose
11. She's Not There
On July 7, 1981, I saw Carlos Santana in concert for the first time. I was about a month removed from college graduation, and enjoying a summer off before starting business school in the fall. My buddies and I were going to see Carlos at a new outdoor concert venue that John Scher had opened, the South Mountain Arena in West Orange NJ. When we arrived, we found out that it wasn’t quite an Arena. In fact, it wasn’t quite an Amphitheater or Hall or an Arts Center or anything quite so fancy. It was…THE SIDE OF A HILL. Yep, Mr. Scher, who above all knew how to make a buck, rented space in a large park, put a stage at the bottom of a hill, put up fences to keep out anyone without a ticket, and created a concert venue. I guess it’s a little late for me to complain, especially since I bought to tickets to several other shows at South Mountain that summer. All issues with the venue were forgotten once Carlos hit the stage. He played a blistering set, featuring songs from his latest album Zebop, as well as a host of classics. We had gone hoping that Carlos would play Open Invitation, and he delivered. You, see, when I was in college, a cover band called Yasgur’s Farm usually played Open Invitation to close their shows, which in a beer induced haze, probably sounded way better than it really was. In any event, that sort of became a theme song for my group of friends. Finally hearing Carlos play it live was one of the highlights of my concert “career”. I would get to see Carlos again in 1986 as part of the Crack Down concert at Madison Square Garden, which also featured CSN and the Allman Brothers.
This soundboard recording captures Santana 4 years after the 2nd time I saw them, in Manchester on June 3, 1990, 33 years ago today.



3 comments:
Santana is definitely a great musician, band and performer. I first say him just after you did, in the summer of 1982 at one of the Day on the Green concerts in Oakland, CA. Journey, Santana, Toto, Gamma and The Tubes. As I've been living in Las Vegas for decades, I've been spoiled with seeing Santana because of his HOB residencies. So far, I've seen him 9 times, and every time is great.
Really cool write-up - sounds like a fun memory!
Thanks for this BBC1 qualité recording !
Post a Comment