Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

U2 - 1981-11-14 - Orpheum, Boston (FM)

U2
1981-11-14
Orpheum Theater
Boston, MA
WBCN FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Intro
02. Gloria
03. Another Time, Another Place
04. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
05. An Cat Dubh
06. Into The Heart
07. With A Shout
08. Rejoice
09. The Cry / The Electric Co.
10. I Fall Down
11. October
12. Stories For Boys
13. I Will Follow
14. Twilight
15. Out Of Control
16. encore break
17. Fire
18. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
19. The Ocean
20. Outro


1981 - It was Tuesday, November 24, 1981, just 2 days prior to Thanksgiving. I was in grad school, and had no Wednesday classes. Two of my buddies, who I had known since junior high, had taken the Wednesday off from work. So, we were clear for a big night out. We decided to head off to a club in Passaic called Hitsville to see if we could catch this "new wave" band called U2 that seemed to be getting lots of radio airplay. The band was supposed to take the stage around midnight. By 1 am, we'd been at the club 4 hours, had drank way too much, and there was still no U2. Finally, at 1:30 am, we called it a night, never getting to see the band. I'm not sure if they ever played. If you go here, you'll find a comprehensive list of U2 concerts and set lists. Please note that the 11-24-1981 Hitsville show is one of just a few with no set list published! If the band did eventually go on, it doesn't look like anyone was left to hear what they played! In any event, I may have missed U2 that night, but fortunately we have this FM broadcast from 10 days earlier in Boston, fro, November 14, 1981, 3 dozen years ago today to give us a peak into one of rock's legendary bands just as they were on the cusp of stardom.




2 comments:

speedymjb said...

If you visted earlier and had a problem downloadiing, please try again! The link has been fixed!

SoulChange said...

What a great piece of history... thank you.

Post a Comment