As long time readers of this blog know, we post everything in MP3 format. I simply don't have the storage space for FLAC files, and I'd rather have more music in MP3 format than less in FLAC!
That said, I've received numerous comments recently about why don't I post FLAC files, as they are better quality. Or how could I post a 128 kbps MP3 as such files are "unlistenable."
I could never address this issue as well the one & only TunzMaster Dino, whose rant on Guitars 101 on this subject is the stuff of legends. That said, folks should never confuse Bit Rate or File Format with Sound Quality. Just because a file is in FLAC format, or a 320 kbps MP3, doesn't mean that it sounds good! Yes, I understand that theoretically, the sound on a FLAC file or higher bit rate MP3s should suffer less degradation. That said, I've downloaded more than my fair share of audience recordings in FLAC format that despite the best efforts of the taper, sound like they were recorded using a tin can and a piece of string. No offense to anyone who tapes shows as we appreciate their hard work but sometimes circumstances - seat location, mic placement, sound quality in the venue, need for concealment, etc., - results in a tape that just doesn't sound any good, regardless of what format the files are in!
As we indicated in a post earlier today, we do our best to bring you concerts that sound great. We prefer soundboards and FM broadcasts, and are very picky about the audience shows we post. Where we can, we post 320 kbps MP3s. But, if we have is a soundboard recording that sounds great but is only at 128 kbps, we're going to err on the side of posting it so we can share the music with you. And to be honest, how many folks can really tell the difference between an MP3 recording and a FLAC one? I can tell you that my ears - perhaps due to age and the volume at some of the shows I attended - most certainly can't!
The bottom line - if we think it sounds good, we're posting it, format of the file or bit rate be damned! And that's as close as I'll get to ranting about this the way Dino did!

10 comments:
For sure, the better the quality, the better the experience. I like to have a drink from times to times, and a Highland Malt Whisky from Scotland is better than a cheap blended whisky, a nice Gallo Nero Chianti wine from Italy is better than a low priced mixture of spanish wines... We all prefer 320 kbps MP3 to 128, but when not available, I still go for a nice little glass of spanish wine and cheer with the friends ! As long as the music, the wine is nice to hear/to drink.
Derek from Paris
Well spoken, my friend. I'm with you, as they say, 1000%. Of course, my ears are disasters, so I don't sweat the small stuff at all any more. It's the music that matters. Life's too short to fuss about the bit rate or the format. Thanks a bunch...
!ggy
I (we) understand that you are passing along some great shows and sometimes the source material is at a low bitrate. That's ok by me as long as you keep coming up with these fantastic recordings. Keep up the good work, I always look forward to what comes through every day.
There are apps that recode music files out there...I use Switch File Converter to adjust bit rates...it's free...check it out...
Well done. People should chill and appreciate all of the hard work that you do. Thanks.
I could not agree more. I have plenty of great sounding MP3s and also plenty of not so great sounding FLAC shows. Just because it is MP3 doesn't make it bad, and just because it is FLAC doesn't make it good.
It can certainly amaze me how downright fanatic some people are about bitrates. Everything other than FLAC is unlistenable! Which ofc is absolutely nonsense ;-)
Thanks for everything you do, speedy! (at any bitrate, LOL)
Dino's rant, yes. I started w blogs, 1st NargotheBortsDeviantSubculture, which led me to more and more and G101, and then, Dino's drunken, late night rant that made so many people choose sides. I will always remember laughing out loud to that. On the real topic, once it's on a portable device and going through earbuds, car speakers or little desk speakers, I'd really rather clarity of sound than big files. Size doesn't always matter. RJD is proof.
Couldn't agree more.
I have suffered the same nonsense of great show/bad quality versus terrible show/great quality.
Who cares?
Lot's of people will be listening on their computers and that isn't high end quality.
"Never mind the quality, feel the width." as the old tailors saying went.
Keep up the great work.
Love your site.
Post a Comment