Grateful Dead
1972-09-26
Stanley Theatre
Jersey City, NJ
Soundboard recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
1st Set:
01. The Promised Land
02. Cold Rain and Snow
03. Me and My Uncle
04. He's Gone
05. Mexicali Blues
06. Deal [
07. Cumberland Blues
08. Black-Throated Wind
09. Bird Song
10. Big River
11. Sugaree
12. Around and Around
13: Casey Jones
14. Playing in the Band
2nd Set:
xx: Bertha (missing)
01. You Win Again
02. El Paso
03. Mississippi Half-Step
04, The Greatest Story Ever Told
05. Tomorrow Is Forever
06. Truckin' > Other One Jam
07. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
08. Sugar Magnolia
Encore:
01. 26 Miles Tuning > Johnny B. Goode
02. applause
1972-09-26
Stanley Theatre
Jersey City, NJ
Soundboard recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
1st Set:
01. The Promised Land
02. Cold Rain and Snow
03. Me and My Uncle
04. He's Gone
05. Mexicali Blues
06. Deal [
07. Cumberland Blues
08. Black-Throated Wind
09. Bird Song
10. Big River
11. Sugaree
12. Around and Around
13: Casey Jones
14. Playing in the Band
2nd Set:
xx: Bertha (missing)
01. You Win Again
02. El Paso
03. Mississippi Half-Step
04, The Greatest Story Ever Told
05. Tomorrow Is Forever
06. Truckin' > Other One Jam
07. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
08. Sugar Magnolia
Encore:
01. 26 Miles Tuning > Johnny B. Goode
02. applause
The Grateful Dead participated in Farm Aid in both 1986 and 1987, yet never took the stage live at location where the show was being held! Farm Aid. Both of their appearances were broadcast via satellite, in 1986 from a concert they were performing in Buffalo and in 1987 from a show at Madison Square Garden. I was at that 1987 show, (part of a run of 5 shows in 6 days) and the place went nuts went they announced that the satellite feed was starting. About 3 or 4 songs were broadcast, including a very appropriate version of Dylan's Maggie's Farm!
In honor of those 2 appearances, we'll bring you 2 Dead concerts, one today and one on September 28. Both are from 1972 and feature the Dead at the Stanley Theater in Jersey City. The Stanley was a hot spot for movies and live entertainment in the early 1970s, but eventually, dwindling attendance led to the venue closing in 1978. Today we bring you a soundboard recording of the Dead from the Stanley on September 26, 1972, 44 years ago today, the opening night of a 3 show run. The middle night, September 27, was officially released as Dick's Picks Volume 11. Clearly, this was a hot month for the band, as shows from September 17, 21 and, 24 have also been officially released, Download this one, then come back in 2 days for closing night at the Stanley.



1 comments:
This was the only show of this run that I attended though I don't remember how I got there or who I was with!! The Stanley Theater was a beautiful old place and I wonder why the Dead never played there again after this run. I was fairly close to the stage (maybe 5-10 rows back)and I remember Jerry doing a skip across the stage to lead into the jam right after the second verse and when I went to listen to that particular jam specifically, the recording skipped over to just before Jerry's solo singing part at the end ("A lotta poor men got the Cumberland Blooz...") ---- OY!!!! Now, that is a very tooooo bad!!! HA!!!
I had taken a leave from SUNY Stony Brook that semester and I was working and planning on going out to visit my girlfriend at Western Illinois University and somehow I forgot about the next two shows at the Stanley (the run was tues > thurs) until years later in the early 80's when I started to collect cassette tapes and my friend Peter turned me on early to the great 9-28-72 and I started thinking about 9-26 again. And then, of course, when the Dead released 9-27 (in the very late 90's?? early 2000's??), I really started missing 9-26, especially when you throw all three together and you realize how what a great run it was truly!!
But, I wander!! 9-26 was a very enjoyable show, I remember, and everyone left very happy.
Ron in Flagstaff
Post a Comment