Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, September 23, 2016

The Dilemma of Audience Recordings

Recently, I've gotten several comments asking why we are posting so many more audience recordings than in the past.  Some of those comments have been positive while others aren't thrilled about it.  The bottom line is that I do plan to include more audience shows as we go forward, and to explain why, I reposting below an entry from several months ago!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 7 or 8 years ago when I first found sites on the web where I could download unreleased live shows.  I quickly learned that not all downloads were created equally. Some sounded incredibly good, often better than official live releases, while others sounded like they had been recorded under water using a tin can and a string.  By trial and error, I learned that for the most past FM broadcasts and soundboard recordings could be counted on to sound great, while audience recordings, well, they were a whole different story.

For the longest time, I pretty much avoided posting any audience recordings on this blog because most, to be honest, sounded awful,  I wanted folks who came to So Many Roads to find great sounding concerts, a lesson I learned from the legendary Tunz Master Dino. That said, in the last year or so, I've softened my stance on audience recordings somewhat, for several reasons. First, I've found more and more audience tapes that actually sound good.  Even a couple, such as the Neil Young Greendale show from Europe, that you could swear were soundboards. Second, some historically important concerts are only available as audience tapes, and given that the historical bent of this blog, I felt it was important to post them.  Finally, I've had numerous requests from readers of this blog for certain shows which can only be found as audience tapes.  I like to be responsive to the folks who support this blog, so I've taken to posting more audience recordings. That said, the blog will still be well over 90% soundboard and FM recordings.

For the 10% or so audience tapes,  I do my best to post only excellent/high quality recordings.  I listen to every one of then before I post them, trying to make sure the sound quality, while maybe not as pristine as a soundboard, is clear, with no distortion, static or excessive audience noise.  I try to avoid anything that sounds like it was recorded in cave, where vocals are distant or tinny, or where you can't tell the guitars from the drums.

Of course, its hardly an exact science.  What I think sounds great someone else may find unacceptable or vice versa.  And I'd be lying if I didn't say that an audience tape of a band I love, or of a show I attended, always seems to sound better to me. Guess that's just human nature at work.

In any event, knowing all the issues around audience tapes, I make sure every one is clearly marked as such.  That way no one is surprised.   If you don't want to take any chances, just avoid the ones that say audience tapes.  If your ears are a bit more forgiving, you can take a chance on them.

Audience tapes, even the best quality ones, will always pose a dilemma for both poster and the down loader, but here at So Many Roads we think we've taken an approach that's honest and open, and hopefully works for everyone involved.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post.

I have found, particularly with recordings where one has a large sampling to work with, (Grateful Dead comes to mind), that recordings from outdoor venues can be great probably due to the lack of echo and resonance. Listen to Shoreline, the Greek Theatre and a couple of others. There are some indoor venues that are nice as well, but as you mentioned, labelling, (truth-in-advertising) is key.

For those whose ear is a bit more discerning than the poster of a performance, AND if they have a better source, (and I say this with all humility), post the source in a comment. Everybody wins.

Once again, thanks for running a great blog and for all the work you do!

zenarus said...

Well I kinda agree with you.
Personally I got tired of being burned by aud recordings. There'd be a rave about how great the sound quality of a concert was, and 9 times out of 10 it sounded like it was recorded across the street in a phone booth. So I swore them off.

Steve626 said...

Very nicely put. I've got plenty of audience tapes from my favorite performers that are sketchy, but, if not for them, the performance would be lost to me forever. If I'm interested, I'm always happy to download something and give it a listen and decide whether to include it in my library. You do everyone a service by posting interesting audience recordings and we should reciprocate by giving them a chance.

Henning2804 said...

Some recordings from the past are so rare and have such amazing content that the quality of the recording becomes secondary; when all you have is a mediocre recording of an amazing concert, it is often better than nothing. Thus audience recordings may be inferior but crucial to your music library. And with the fantastic recordings that can be made with modern digital equipment, modern audience recordings can be both in excellent sonic and sometimes even artistic quality. So go ahead, give it to us. No blame from me, that is for sure :-)

Anonymous said...

For sure, soundboard recordings have generally a better quality. I have sometimes AM recordings from seventies in Europe that sound very crappy too. On the other hand audience recording technology has evolved in the recent years and by the way, in the 50/60/70's, live Jazz recordings were all almost audience recording with one ore two mikes placed left and right of the scene and theses may sound magnificent. So it's a never ending debate about who plays, how well the equipment was placed, how much you appreciate the historical value or if you are absolute fan of the band, etc. The main value is to get with files to download some information on the audio quality as per the opinion of the person who provides the file. And this is perfect !
thank for all this and for the interesting discussions posted on this topic.

Derek from Paris

Anonymous said...

Speedy,my friend,jst keep doing what you do and trust your ears..then it will be fine..theres great aud tapes on there,some are simply amazing and alot depends on the bands sound sytem..you know whats what and worth listening to,so jst keep doing it!
hope you are well my friend and thank you for all the Neil!!!
wolfclan..

La Piazza Gancio said...

If you download an audience recording and don't like the results, I have it on good authority you can return it to So Many Roads for a full refund.

Anonymous said...

Hi Speedy, When I first started recording live show back in the 70's, the technology was a cassette tapes and recorder that had to be smuggled in and avoid being detected by a body search. Now the quality is not the best, but it is better than most think and a great documentation of a concert that will never again. Then the technology changed to what we have today and I got the recording live shows bug back again. Again I am capturing a moment in time that would otherwise be lost. The quality of the new machines are amazing and if you can avoid the shouters and screamers, the recordings are a 9 to 10. I used to share my recordings happy to let others enjoy something they never went to. I soon stopped doing this because of people being so ungrateful after downloading a show for free and enjoying the fruits of my hard labor. No skin of my nose as I have a very large collection of shows which I enjoy and others could, but don't. I have even been sending shows from the 70's back to the artists because most never recorded their own shows.

Keep up the great work and thanks.

The Taper

Anonymous said...

You make your case. Thanks for the site. W.

Post a Comment