Jerry Garcia Band
1977-12-23
The Keystone Palo Alto
Palo Alto, CA
FM Broadcast
1977-12-23
The Keystone Palo Alto
Palo Alto, CA
FM Broadcast
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. I Second That Emotion
02. Love In The Afternoon
03. Tore Up Over You
04. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
2nd Set
01. Midnight Moonlight
xx They Love Each Other (not broadcast)
xx. Don't Let Go > (not broadcast)
xx. The Other One Jam > (not broadcast)
xx. Don't Let Go (not broadcast)
Besides the 50 times I saw the Dead live, I attended 4 Jerry Garcia Band concerts in 3 different decades - in March 1978 at the Capitol Theater, in March 1980, also at the Capitol (a show that has been officially released), in August 1984 at Caldwell College and finally in November 1991 at Madison Square Garden. Garcia solo shows were like Dead concerts in some ways as some songs overlapped, the set lists were unpredictable and the jamming intense, but unlike them in others. Garcia on his own played an amazing variety of covers not found in the Dead's set lists, broke out some of his rarer solo tunes, and took far more solos than he would when jamming with the Dead. To sum it up, seeing Garcia solo was not seeing the Dead, and vice versa. I have a whole essay on that in my book.
This FM broadcast captures Garcia just a few months before I saw him live for the first time, in Berkeley on December 23, 1977, 4 dozen years ago today. As mentioned in numerous posts on this blog, 1977 was a magical year for Garcia and the Grateful Dead, so its a shame they didn't broadcast the rest of the 2nd set! Happy holidays!



0 comments:
Post a Comment