Santana
1969-12-18
Winterland
San Francisco, CA
Soundboard Recording
320 kbps
Artwork Included
01. Conquistadore Rides Again
02. You Just Don't Care
03. Fried Neckbones And Some Home Fries
04. Waiting
05. Treat
06. Gumbo
07. Evil Ways
08. Shades Of Time > Savor
09. Jingo
10. Persuasion
11. Soul Sacrifice PT 1
12. Shrieve Solo
13. Soul Sacrifice PT 2
On July 7, 1981, I saw Carlos Santana in concert for the first time. I was about a month removed from college graduation, and enjoying a summer off before starting business school in the fall. We had gone hoping that Carlos would play Open Invitation, and he delivered. You, see, when I was in college, a cover band called Yasgur’s Farm usually played Open Invitation to close their shows, which in a beer induced haze, probably sounded way better than it really was. In any event, that sort of became a theme song for my group of friends. Finally hearing Carlos play it live was one of the highlights of my concert journey.. I would get to see Carlos again in 1986 as part of the Crack Down concerts at Madison Square Garden, which all featured CSN and the Allman Brothers. The jam session at the end of the night saw Carlos, Dickie Betts, and Stephen Stills all on stage at once!
This soundboard recording captures Santana years before I saw them live, on their home turf in San Francisco on December 18, 1969, 56 years ago today. About 5 months earlier, the band had played Woodstock, which propelled them to stadom. Their incendiary performance was featured in the movie and and their debut album, released on August 30, 1969, climbed to #4 on the Billboard charts.



2 comments:
Thank you very much for this great classic recording. Wishing you a very happy and safe holiday season from sunny Las Vegas, Nevada! :)
The same to you my good friend!
Post a Comment