Grateful Dead
1977-05-08
Barton Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca NY
Soundboard Recording
256 kbps (vbr)
Artwork Included
1st Set:
01. New Minglewood Blues
02. Loser
03. El Paso
04. They Love Each Other
05. Jack Straw
06. Deal
07. Lazy Lightning > Supplication
08. Brown Eyed Women
09. Mama Tried
10. Row Jimmy
11. Dancin' In The Streets
2nd Set:
01. Take A Step Back/Tuning
02. Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain
03. Estimated Prophet
04. Tuning/Dead Air
05. Saint Stephen >
06. Not Fade Away >
07. Saint Stephen >
08. Morning Dew
Encore:
09. One More Saturday Night
Here it is - a soundboard of the "best Dead show ever" from Barton Hall on the campus of Cornell University from May 8, 1977, 36 years ago this very day. We all know that any "best of list" is subjective, but the legend of Barton Hall has grown with the years. From the gargantuan Scarlet Begonias > Fire on The Mountain jam that clocks in at almost 26 minutes long, to the 5 minute guitar solo in the middle of Morning Dew, to the snow that fell to the ground that day in May, everything about this show is magical. A NY Times article from about a few years ago does a far better job that I ever could in explaining the mystique about the Barton Hall show (and other celebrated Dead concerts). You can read that article here. The Times also conducted a poll, allowing the readers to vote for their favorite show from among a short list of 4 historic concerts, including Barton Hall. The winner (go here to see results), with almost as many votes as the other 3 shows combined -- none other than May 8, 1977. Download it for yourself and be part of history.



15 comments:
Thanks for posting this. I'm trying to get more into The Dead.
Got this show on tape in college over 12 years ago and lost it once I transferred it to my PC and it crashed. I've been searching for Barton Hall soundboards on and off for years and am exstatic that you have this posted. Thank you so much posting!!
Thanks dude, my first Dead boot. May as well start at the (supposed) top.
Keep up the good work friend.
Hi speedy,
Just wanted to wish you a very happy New Year and thank you for all the hard work you do here. I really need to come by more often as your collection is tremendous! One of my New Year's resolutions is to get more into the Dead and I am starting with this one at your recommendation!
Best wishes, your friend Andy (Hrothgar)
Andy my good friend -- thanks so much for all the kind words! Hope all is well with you and your whole family! Hopefully, I can help you with your new year's resolution. After this Dead show, I recommend 09-18-1987 and 06-10-1973, both of which I've posted!
Love your site, thank you! This download is missing tracks 1, 5, 8, 10, 16. I've opened with two different programs with the same result. Can you help or am I nuts? Thanks again for your great music.
I just downloaded it and opened it with Winrar. The tracks you mention are in the file. They are simply not named. You should see 5 mp3 files that start with gd77-05-08eaton. Those are the tracks you are looking for.
Got it! Thanks for your patience, and great music.
Got it! Thank you for your patience and your great music.
No problem!
can you please re post this thanks
new link is up
Personally, I've always preferred the next night, Buffalo 5-9-77 -- it opens with a MONSTER Help-Slip-Franklins that clocks in at apprx. a half hour, then the second set include a Bertha-Good Lovin', an Estimated-Other One, an amazing Not Fade Away and simply one of the best best Comes A Time ever.
Of course, I could be prejudiced -- I was there, and it was the last concert of my college career before graduating. Still....
Love all you do, speedy, thanks for everything!
You're welcome Gummo. And you're not the only one who thinks highly on Buffalo, 5/9/1977. Read my post tomorrow and you'll see what I mean!
Thank you. A happy part of the day. Read the linked article too, Always informative and enlightening, looking forward to a listen.
Post a Comment