Coming Attractions

From September 11 to 20, we'll bring you:
Bruce Cockburn, Edie Brickell, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Derringer, David Bowie, Southside Johnny, Music For Montserrat, Jerry Garcia, Crowded House, Counting Crows,The Pretenders, Men At Work, Elton John, and Bob Weir!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Allman Brothers Band - 1970-07-26 - Stonybrook, LI (SBD)

Allman Brothers Band
1970-07-26
State University Of New York
Stony Brook, New York
Soundboard Recording
256 kbps
Artwork Included

01. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
02. Stormy Monday
03. Elizabeth Reed
04. You Don't Love Me
05. Dreams I'll Never See > Mountain Jam >
06. Drums >
07. Mountain Jam


If any band is thought of as the kindred spirit of the Grateful Dead, it’s probably the Allman Brothers. That’s somewhat ironic as the Dead are the spiritual founders of the San Francisco sound, while the Allmans were the pioneers of Southern rock.  Yet the similarities can’t be overlooked:
  • both were quintessential jam bands
  • both were renowned for their seemingly never ending concerts
  • both had 2 drummers
  • both would suffer tragic losses in the early 1970s yet rise to new heights
  • both were tied to Bill Graham and played legendary shows at The Fillmore’s East & West
  • both had roots in blues, country, jazz, folk and bluegrass, and
  • both shared the bill on numerous occasions.
For example, we brought you a show earlier this month from July 7, 1969 when Greg and Duane joined the Dead on stage. In February 1970, for example, the Dead and Allmans shared the bill at the Fillmore East, we Duane and Greg joined the Dead on stage during the late show on February 11.  In June 1973, the 2 bands played 2 shows at RFK Stadium and collaborations abounded. On June 9, Bob Weir sat in with the Allmans for their encore of Mountain Jam. The next day, The Allmans. along with Merle Saunders, sat in with the Dead for an incredible 8 song 3rd set. Of course, on July 28, The Dead, The Allmans and The Band all shared the stage to close out the Watkins Glenn concert. And on New Year’s Eve 1973, Jerry Garcia and Bill Kreutzman sat in with the Allmans for part of their 2nd and all of their 3rd set to ring in the new year.  So, in honor of all those collaborations, we bring you this soundboard of the Allmans from July 26, 1970, 45 years ago today, at Stony Brook.

By the way, the Allmans must have really enjoyed playiing Stonybrook.  In addition to this concert, the Allman's played Stony Brook 3 other times that year on April 28, July 10 and October 23. Can you imagine 4 opportunities to see Duane, Greg and the entire Allman's contingent 4 times in 6 months at small college campus right outside New York City? I'm betting prices were under $5 a ticket! Oh well, if we can't bring back those intimate shows at bargain basement prices, at least we can still enjoy the incredible music, by downloading great bootlegs such as this one.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I love you blog. All these great soundboards. I have downloaded quite a few of these great shows. I seem to have a problem with Depositfiles though. Their service never works on my computer. I don't think I am doing anything wrong, but I can never seem to download anything through their service. Is it possible that you could put up another link - maybe Mediafire or Rapidshare? I hate to ask for more from someone who gives so much , but I really dig these early Allman gigs. Thank you so much for your efforts.

speedymjb said...

Thanks for the kind words. It takes so much time to run this blog that I usually don't post a 2nd link for a show, but you were so kind about how you asked, I had to do it for you. Click the link below: http://www.mediafire.com/?7v5vwhvix682h6t

mwilson said...

I enjoyed the history you provided on this recording. I wonder how many people saw all three shows. Keep up the good work. Thanks for all you do

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. The Allman's also played at Suny a couple of times in 1971, including one of Duane's last shows in Sept. of '71. Imagine seeing them w/Duane at your school 6 or 7 seven times! Moby Grape also played there a couple of times. Any chance of posting either of their shows? Great blog.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the boot. Pretty sure the date on this show is 7/10/70 though after some research on the Allman website

speedymjb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
speedymjb said...

While according to the Allmans website, the band played Stonybrook on July 10, they also played on July 26. Scroll down on the Allmans set lists for 1970 and you'll find:

Jul 26, 1970 (Sun)
The Allman Brothers Band
SUNY Stony Brook
Stony Brook, New York
Tape: List | Request
1. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
2. Stormy Monday
3. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
4. You Don't Love Me
5. Dreams
6. Mountain Jam

Anonymous said...

Grr...I really want this show but, again, the downloads aren't working from this site for me. Still, thanks for the upload because I'm sure this is amazing music.

speedymjb said...

Here's a mediafire link you can try:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v5vwhvix682h6t

Anonymous said...

This is most AWESOME bootleg music blog on the interwebs :)! Admin - thee I do salute!!

Anonymous said...

First time I saw The ABB, it was a concert at SUNY Stonybrook on Long Island headlining Mountain who had just made the big time at Woodstock a few months earlier. The Bro's were the opening act and no one had even heard of them. When I walked in Butch under a red light and Jai Johnny under a blue light. They were in the middle of their drum solo's. Had never seen a band with 2 drummer before. I was a drummer and couldn't believe what I was hearing. All of the sudden the lights all went white and the full ABB band came in and blew the show away. I don't think I even stayed to hear Mountain, it wasn't even close...

speedymjb said...

Thanks for sharing such a great story! Enjoy the tunz!

Post a Comment